The Rode RODELink Newsshooter Kit brings DIY journalists, vloggers, and reporters a cost-effective digital wireless microphone system with simple plug-and-record operation, clean and reliable sound, and multiple power options.
The Newsshooter Kit features a plug-on transmitter, along with a bodypack transmitter and a camera-mount receiver. The plug-on is designed to work primarily with handheld microphones for man-on-the-street interviews or with shotgun mics for wireless booming. Its XLR connector provides 48V phantom power, giving you the option of using it with condenser microphones (the mics are available separately). This versatile unit can also be used as a beltpack transmitter by simply plugging a lav into the additional 3.5mm mic input.
The RODELink operates anywhere in the world in the 2.4 GHz spectrum—well away from potential TV and radio interference. For ease of use, the transmitter and receiver are paired at the factory. Just power up and you’re good to go.
The system plugs into your DSLR or mirrorless camera, allowing you to capture audio for projects ranging from YouTube vlogs and wedding videos to corporate spots and red-carpet-style interviews. Up to eight systems can operate on set.
Plug-On Transmitter with XLR and 3.5mm Mic Inputs
- Constructed with a plastic and metal chassis protected by a rubberized coating, the plug-on transmitter attaches to any dynamic or condenser microphone equipped with an XLR connector. A locking ring secures your mic firmly in place.
- The second mic input features a locking 3.5mm TRS connector and supplies plug-in power, allowing you to use it with the lav or headset mic of your choice. Note that you can only use one of the mic inputs at a time.
- Controls let you engage the phantom power, choose an input and set its gain, mute the mic, and control the headphone volume.
- Each input offers adjustable gain, allowing you to set the best level for your talent’s delivery—whether it’s a whisper or a shout.
- The front cover slides over the controls to turn off the screen, save battery life, protect the controls, and make the plug-on as inconspicuous on camera as possible.
- The included leather case lets you use the plug-on as a beltpack transmitter, while still allowing you to see the screen and access the controls.
Receiver with OLED Display
- The lightweight (at 6.7 oz) receiver features easy, one-button operation for basic controls, and a detachable shoemount with a rounded base that lets you conveniently angle the unit on top of your camera.
- The included cable connects the receiver’s output to the 3.5mm audio input of any DSLR or mirrorless camera. Alternatively, the VXLR 3.5mm to XLR adapter (available separately) allows you plug your system into the XLR input of a camcorder or recording device.
- The receiver features a high-output level with three-stage gain adjustment that allows you to turn down the camera gain, for cleaner recordings with less hiss.
- Conveniently, the receiver’s OLED display shows critical information for the receiver as well as the transmitter, including battery status, signal level, mute status, and channel selection for both units.
Simple and Flexible Operation
- The transmitter and the receiver arrive pre-paired, and automatically seek out a clean frequency when you turn them on—saving you the hassle of scanning and syncing before a shoot.
- The system uses an intuitive multi-function button for quick power and muting functions.
- More advanced controls over audio levels, additional pairing, and channel selection are also available.
Clean and Reliable Sound
- RODELink employs Series II 2.4 GHz digital transmission, which constantly monitors and hops between frequencies to maintain a clean transmission, at a range up to 330’.
- To ensure clear communication, the system sends the audio on two separate frequencies (frequency diversity) and uses the cleanest signal.
- The system transmits a strong signal at the selected frequency to overcome interference even in busy 2.4 GHz (Wi-Fi) environments. For optimal performance, users are encouraged to maintain as direct a line of sight as possible between the transmitter and receiver.
- To deliver high-quality wireless audio, the system offers a resolution of 24-bit / 44.1 kHz, a wide frequency response of 35 Hz to 22 kHz, and an impressive dynamic range of 112 dB.
- Note: Each RODELink system creates a wireless peer-to-peer connection allowing the transmitter and the receiver to operate as a pair. This means that the transmitter can transmit audio to only one receiver at a time. Conversely, the receiver can only receive audio from one transmitter at a time.
Three Power Options for Longer Shoots
- The transmitter and the receiver each run on two AA batteries.
- The transmitter operates 5 to 9 hours on lithium batteries with phantom power activated, and even longer if phantom is not needed.
- The transmitter also supports NP-F batteries for up to 16 hours of shooting time, depending on phantom power and headphone usage.
- While in operation, the system can be powered via USB with a wall power source or a portable battery.
- 128-bit encryption for security
- 4 ms maximum latency
- For more flexibility, you can add the TX-BELT bodypack transmitter with lavalier mic (available separately) to your Newsshooter Kit for hands-free speech and dialog
- Designed and made in Australia